4.30 hours (including marinating time)
3 tablespoons natural yoghurt
1/2 teaspooon of tumeric
4 lamb shanks
4 brown onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon of mild chilli powder (hot if you prefer)
1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes (more if you like it hot)
4 teaspoons of ground cumin
2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of tumeric
1 teaspoon of paprika
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
1 teaspon of cinnamon
2 tins of Italian cherry tomatoes
500ml of chicken stock
400ml hard creamed coconut cream (dissolved in a cup of water)
4 medium sized aubergines
Juice of two limes
2 tablespoons of runny honey
1 large bag of spinach
2 teaspoons of garam masala
1 bunch of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius.
- For the marinade, mix the yoghurt and tumeric together and coat the lamb shanks. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Longer if you have time.
- Once the lamb is marinated, heat a large based heavy casserole dish, add a little oil and brown the lamb shanks. Set the shanks aside.
- In the same casserole dish fry the onions, garlic and ginger until soft and fragrant.
- Add in all the spices except for the garam masala (cumin, cumin seeds, chilli flakes and powder, tumeric, cinnamon and ground coriander). Fry for one minute until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken stock, tomatoes, coconut cream, lime juice, honey and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the lamb to the casserole dish, make sure the shanks are covered with the sauce, put on a lid and pop in the oven for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, check the lamb. The meat should of completely fallen off the bones. Remove all the bones from the dish.
- Cut the aubergine into long slices, brush lightly with olive oil and char on a BBQ or griddle pan.
- Roughly cut the aubergine into smaller pieces, then add to the curry along with the spinach, chopped fresh coriander and garam masala.
- Put curry back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to season to your taste if required.
- Serve with basmati rice, naan bread, mango chutney and raita.